Taking Care of Your Partner’s Needs
There are several key needs we each require to be fulfilled in our life – and in relationships.
If yours doesn’t help you meet these, it will more than likely run into trouble at some stage.
Accordingly, you need to determine if your partner will help you meet these needs. For example, we each obviously need basic physical things such as water, food, money and shelter for simple survival.
However, once you obtain these basic necessities together, you’ll find that you need several other key needs, such as safety and security.
Many of us try to meet these needs by getting married, obtaining a good job to provide money for somewhere to live and a car and a house. But that is not always enough: what you also need to consider is does your partner make you feel emotionally and mentally safe and secure? Ways to determine this are to consider:
• do you want the same things out of life?
• does your partner have similar attitudes, goals and growth plans? (Answer no if they like doing things completely different, or worse still, doing lots of things without you).
• do you respect and believe in each other?
• do you consistently develop win–win solutions to problems?
• does your partner make you feel emotionally and mentally safe and secure?
Again, you want mostly ‘yes’ answers to these questions for any relationship, let alone marriage, to be successful.